The 2018-19 Wolf Pack squad earned Bronze in the Cyclone Taylor Cup tournament. 🥉The team was led by Bayne Koen. Tonight, Koen is on the other bench as the Sockeyes (5-1-0-0) come to town to take on North Van (0-4-1-0).
General Manager: Richard Petrowsky
Head Coach: Bayne Koen
Road Record: 1-0-0-0
Last Game: A 4-1 loss to Delta on Thursday. Teo Lin (3) was the lone player to score for the Sockeyes.
Goals For/Goals Against: 20 GF/13 GA (+7)
Power Play: 6/20 (30%)
Penalty Kill: 4/24 (83.33%)
Leading Scorers: Matthew Stewart (6GP–1G–5A–6PTS), Teo Lin (5GP– 3G–3A–6PTS), Justin Grant (6GP – 2G – 3A – 5PTS)
Rocco La Cara is back for a second season with the Richmond Sockeyes. La Cara finished with 14 goals and 21 assists for 35 points in 25 games during the 2021-22 regular season. La Cara had goals of taking the next step in his hockey career but finds himself back with Richmond. The left-handed forward from Squamish, BC is playing his second game of the season tonight. The 5’8” and 165lbs forward was in the lineup Thursday night against Delta.
Matthew Stewart is a left-handed forward from Delta, BC. The 2003-born forward is playing his second year of PJHL hockey and second with Richmond. Last season Stewart had 6 goals and 16 assists for 22 points in 22 games. Stewart played in three postseason games with the Sockeyes picking up 3 points, the Sockeyes were eliminated in seven games by the Delta Ice Hawks. This season Matthew has one goal and five assists for six points in six games.
NORTH VANCOUVER WOLF PACK
General Manager: Matt Samson
Head Coach: Mike Borrelli
Home Record: 0-2-1-0
Last Game: The Wolf Pack are coming off a 5-2 loss to the Aldergrove Kodiaks last night. Pickell (2) and Rempel (1) scored for North Vancouver.
Goals For/Goals Against: 9 GF/28 GA (-19)
Power Play: 2/18 (11.1%)
Penalty Kill: 6/17 (64.71%)
Leading Scorers: JJ Pickell (5GP-2G-2A-4PTS), Alex Binette (5GP – 1G – 2A – 3PTS), Matthew Carniel (5GP – 3G – 0A – 3PTS)
Ward, a left-handed forward from North Vancouver scored his first goal in the PJHL last night. The 2005-born player is just beginning his PJHL career and has done well with the Wolf Pack to this point. Listed at 5’10 and 170lbs, Ward is looking to do all he can to get his team their first victory of the season.
- Luke Bradley and Matthew Carniel will wear ‘A’s’ on their home uniforms. Ryan Hunter and JJ Pickell will serve as alternate captains when the Wolf Pack play on the road.
- 10 players on the Wolf Pack are back from last season
- Alex Binette (F) and Nik Jerris (G) are currently the only 20 year olds on the Wolf Pack.
- Ryan Hunter is back after serving a 2-game suspension for his contact with an Ice Hawks player in Delta. The play resulted in a 5-minute major penalty and an ejection from the game on Tuesday, September 20. The incident took place in the first period.
- Croatian Sensation, Dario Zitko, is back in North Vancouver after committing to the Dauphin Kings of the MJHL during the pre-season. Zitko is not expected to play in the next upcoming games.
These clubs have three more meetings lined up against one another during the regular season. The Sockeyes are back in town on November 6 and the Wolf Pack travel to the fish tank for games on November 14 and December 8.
Earlier this week Mark Berry, the voice of the VIJHL’s Campbell River Storm, spoke with PJHL Commissioner Trevor Aalto. The two spoke about the new PCHC partnership between the PJHL and KIJHL. This new organization represents a partnership between two of Western Canada’s premier junior hockey leagues to advance their level of competitive hockey in British Columbia. There are currently BCHC graduates playing in the BCHL, WHL, NCAA, U Sports and the National Hockey League. Stay tuned for their interview during one of the intermissions.