Friday night at Centennial Arena in White Rock marked the first game of the first-round series between the North Vancouver Wolf Pack (0-1) and the White Rock Whalers (1-0). Two quick goals from the Whalers were an early indication as to how the game would go for the visiting Wolf Pack as the Whalers would go on to defeat North Vancouver 7-1. The only goal of the night for the Wolf Pack came off the stick of Anthony Reimer during the first period.
WHALERS TAKE GAME 1
WR – Zachary Johns opened up the scoring for the Whalers while La Roue and Mbaja drew assists on the first goal of the game at 3:37 of the first period.
WR – Ewan Rennie was able to find a loose puck at the front of the net and take advantage of it by doubling the Whalers lead to 2. Dorohoy and Fortems got assists at the 4:22 mark.
NV – Anthony Reimer split the lead in half with his shot from the slot. Dario Zitko earned the assist at 16:19. That was the only goal of the night for the Wolf Pack.
WR – Chris Fortems closed out the period with the third goal of the period for his team as he was able to beat a sprawling Damian Perovic. Fortems registered his first of the postseason to restore the 2 goal lead. Dorohoy and Rennie grabbed the assists at 17:12.
Shots: 17-8 White Rock
WR – Zachary Sherwin did it all by himself and put his team up by three with 8:18 still to go in the middle frame.
WR – Dorohoy and Fortems snagged assists on Beauregard’s first of the playoffs on the Power Play at 13:42. Beauregard’s shot near the left faceoff circle snuck past the blocker of Perovic.
* Sam Gilmore replaced Damian Perovic in the Wolf Pack net at 13:42 of the second period.
Shots: 12-7 North Vancouver
WR – Travis Smythe buried his first of the playoffs from Zachary Sherwin and Bryce Margetson to make it a 6-1 Whalers lead. That goal came at 15:22 of the third period.
WR – Ryden Mathieson closed out the scoring as his shot from inside of the offensive zone took a weird bounce before landing in the back of the Wolf Pack net. Jason Beauregard picked up an assist on the goal at 19:20.
Shots: 11-9 White Rock
Final Score: White Rock 7 – North Vancouver 1
Final Shots: 35-29 White Rock
Damian Perovic: 17/22 saves for North Vancouver
Sam Gilmore: 11/13 saves for North Vancouver
Keegan Maddocks: 28/29 saves for White Rock
North Vancouver Power Play: 0/3
White Rock Power Play: 1/4
- Chris Fortems (WR – 1G, 2A)
- Jacob Dorohoy (WR – 0G, 3A)
- Ewan Rennie (WR – 1G, 1A)
Next Game: Saturday at home for game two at 7:00 PM.
- Seven different players scored for the White Rock Whalers in their 7-1 victory
- Both Damian Perovic (17/22) and Sam Gilmore (11/13) made appearances in the Wolf Pack net
- Zachary Sherwin’s goal at the 8:18 mark of the second period was the only unassisted goal of the game
- Chris Fortems (1G, 2A) and Jacob Dorohoy (0G, 3A) both recorded three points. The most of any player during the game.
- Last time the Wolf Pack played the Whalers in the playoffs it was White Rock who won Game 1. North Van responded with four consecutive victories and would go on to defeat the Whalers in five games.